Dental crowns are a significant restorative dentistry procedure that can help repair damaged, cracked, or broken teeth. The procedure itself is seamless and simple, offering years of prolonged comfort and an improved smile to boost your confidence and keep you feeling great. Our North Tonawanda dentists often get asked, “Am I a candidate for dental crowns?” We can provide the information you need to determine whether or not this type of procedure would benefit you.
What Dental Crowns are Good For
To understand whether you would be a good candidate for dental crowns, you must first understand what dental crowns are typically used for. The following situations are the top reasons for needing dental crowns:
- Decaying teeth.
- Missing teeth.
- Broken or chipped teeth.
- Dental fillings that are subjected to breakage or have become vulnerable.
- Root canal therapy that renders the tooth vulnerable and weak.
- Severe cosmetic issues, such as a misshapen or discolored tooth.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dental Crowns?
Our dentists in North Tonawanda can help you determine if you would be a good candidate for dental crowns, or if another restorative dentistry procedure would be best for you. Depending on the location and severity of your broken tooth, it may or may not be best to pursue this type of procedure.
You can speak with a dental crowns specialist for more information. Generally, a good candidate for dental crowns would meet the following criteria:
- Major tooth decay. If there is significant damage to your tooth, you are likely in need of a crown, perhaps after a root canal procedure.
- Sufficient tooth structure to support a crown. If the damage you’ve suffered has left your bones too weak or with not enough mass to support the crown implant structure, it will be impossible to perform this procedure. You need to make sure you have some of the tooth still remaining strong for a crown to be affixed.
- Cosmetic need. If there are cosmetic reasons for needing a crown, such as if the teeth are misshapen or ingrown, you can qualify for a dental crown.
Schedule a Dental Crown Consultation Today!
For further information regarding whether you would be a good candidate for dental crowns, visit us at Wheatfield Family Dentistry to speak with one of our North Tonawanda dental crowns specialists. You can also give us a call at (716) 694-1777 or visit our website to see a full range of our services.